Watermark Art Center (formerly BCAC) announces the opening of the 11th Annual It’s Only Clay Exhibit with a lecture presented by artist and 2013 Juror – Andrea Leila Denecke.
Join us on Wednesday, October 30th for “Textures, Pattern and Influences of Japan in the Work of Andrea Leila Denecke” – a presentation about her process of creating surface texture and pattern as well as the history of her education and experiences in Japan.
Refreshments from 6:30 to 7pm, lecture begins at 7pm. The lecture is free and open to the public and will be hosted at the Headwaters School of Music and the Arts, 519 Minnesota Ave, Downtown Bemidji.
2013 IOC Events Include Exhibit Opening and Awards
Stop by the Art Center on Friday, Nov 1st from 5 to 7pm for the opening of the 2013 It’s Only Clay Exhibit featuring work by 2013 Juror, Andrea Leila Denecke. The ArtCenter is located at 426 Bemidji Ave N. in downtown Bemidji. There will be a brief artist talk and awards will be announced at 6pm.
For more information on this year’s It’s Only Clay event and guest juror, Andrea Leila Denecke go to It’s Only Clay 2013
IOC 2013 is co-sponosred by WatermarkArtCenter and BemidjiStateUniversity. Support is provided by Holiday Inn Express – Bemidji and BSU Foundation. This activity is made possible, in part, by a grant from the Bemidji Area Arts Endowment, a component fund of the Northwest Minnesota Foundation and by a grant provided by the Region 2 Arts Council through an appropriation from the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the State’s General Fund.
Read Full Post »
Posted in Education, Events on September 5, 2013 |
Join the BCAC in welcoming the Minnesota Center for Book Arts this October for 6 Fantastic Workshops.
Explore the artistic creativity and versatility of Book Arts by engaging in workshops designed for adults at all skill levels.
Classes in Paste Paper, Concertina Book Structures, Cartonnage and more – October 5th thru October 6th.
Each class is $20 per person and includes materials!! Advanced registration is required so sign up today!!
Register online at www.mnbookarts.org/community or by calling MCBA at 612-215-2520
For more on class listings go to the BCAC’s page – Classes and Workshops for 2013
Read Full Post »
Posted in Events, First Friday Art Walk on August 29, 2013 |
September brings a plethora of Literary Art Events for our First Friday Art Walk.
- Bemidji Community Art Center – Reading - the BCAC Spoken Word Committee presents author Tom Evans reading from his book Alpha Land. Reception begins at 5:00, reading at 6 pm with Q&A and signing to follow. This event is free and open to the public. Writers Workshop - “The Non-fiction Process as Discovery” with Tom Evans, on Saturday September 7th from 9am to noon. Space is limited. For more information contact the Art Center. Current Exhibit: Open now through September 28th work by Charles E. Alberti in – “Solo Show since 1968 at 68” representing select pieces of Alberti’s work since 1968 as he turns 68 yeas of age.
- FREAXIS STUDIOS – Fortuna Puppet Theatre will perform a shadow show “Jack, the Bean, and the Mean” at Freaxis, September 6th, 5 pm, in the lower BCAC. Free and open to the public!
- Gallery North – present painter Joan Wilson as the Showcase Artist and Featured Artists – Colleen Hilz and Patty Lovegreen for the month of September. Reception on Friday afternoon, September 6th from 2-5 pm. J
- Headwaters Science Center - is pleased to present a special reading by Sarah Teresa Vaughan from an upcoming collection of her poetry Where Is Reality? on Friday, September 6th from 5 to 6:30 pm Sarah will be reading at 5:30 pm.
- Kat’s Book Nook – presents the premiere signing of Steve Saari’s book of poetry, “This Long Trip to Myself,” during the First Friday Art Walk on September 6th, from 4 pm to 6 pm.
- Rail River Folk School – presents the Northwoods Folk Collective Open Stage. Host: Drew Warne-Jacobsen 218 760 9278. Sign-up 6:30-7:30. Open mic starts at 7:30.
- Wild Hare Bistro and Coffeehouse – will present “Journey Into Encaustic” by mixed media artist Terry Honstead, September 6th through October 1st. Join us for the opening reception on First Friday, September 6th, from 3:00-5:00pm. After the Art Walk, experience Wild Hare’s own culinary artists at the First Friday Wine Bar, 5:00-9:00pm.
EXHIBITS AROUND TOWN
- Beltrami County History Center features artwork on display from Gallery North, along with their new history center exhibit “Trails Through Time.” This recently installed exhibit showcases county history from the time of glacial recession to the mid-20th century. Topics include Ojibwe history, logging, entertainment, education, and much more. With over 60 additional feet of new exhibit cases, this exhibit features more of the History Center’s extensive collections! The Beltrami County History Center is open Wed-Sat, noon-4pm. 218-444-3376
- Bemidji Public Library Art Wall – During September, the Bemidji Public Library Art Wall will feature work by area artist Patty Lovegreen. For information about the Bemidji Library Art Wall, please contact: Paul Ericsson, Branch Manager 218-751-3963 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Glazed and Amused – will be hosting Scott Mousseau as their guest artist for September and October. Working in a variety of mediums Scott will be presenting a large collection of photography, works in charcoal, pastel, oils, watercolor, pen and pencil using a variety of techniques in his exhibit New Perspectives. Glazed & Amused is located at 311 3rd Street in Downtown Bemidji. Hours are Seasonal and subject to change. For information – 218-333-6880 or email@example.com You can find us on the web at http://www.myglazedandamused.com
- Neilson Place presents a photography display, “Through Our Eyes” by Aynsley Kluchnik and Abby Szarkowski now through October. Come view their beautiful exhibit that includes sites from Minnesota, North Dakota, Hawaii, New Zealand, Canada, Alaska, California, and many national parks. Framed and unframed photography and greeting cards available ranging in price from $4 to $200 at Neilson Place. Neilson Place is located on the Sanford WoodsEdge campus, 1000 Anne Street NW. For hours or more information call 751-0220 extension #1.
Read Full Post »
Posted in Events, Friends of the Arts on April 26, 2013 |
The Bemidji Community Art Center and First National Bank Bemidji Present the 25th Annual Friend of the Arts Celebration in honor of Cate and Al Belleveau.
Join us for this Special Art Event on Tuesday May 7th
Event Starts at 5:30 at Sanford Center
Tickets are $35 for BCAC Members – $40 for Non-Members – $10 for Youth ticket
and available at the Art Center now through May 1st. Limited Seating – Advanced Tickets only
For more information contact the Art Center at 218-444-7570
Read Full Post »
Posted in Events, Spoken Word on February 13, 2013 |
The Art Center Spoken Word Committee invites you to join us on March 1st as a part of the First Friday Art Walk for a reading by Poet Carol Ann Russell. Along with reading selected poems from previously published books she will be sharing work from her new manuscript. Reception begins at 5:30, reading at 6 pm with Q&A and signing to follow. This event is free and open to the public.
Poetry Workshop Offered - In conjunction with the reading the Art Center will be hosting a writer’s workshop with Carol Ann Russell – on Saturday March 1st from 9 am to noon. $40 for Adults / $20 for Students. Space is limited.
Collage created by Zoey Schelmper
The POEM as Kaleidoscope - An individual’s poem contains not only a map of undivided consciousness, but also the potential for generating work in other genres: creative nonfiction; memoir, short fiction; experimental writing. Bring 3 pages of your typed poetry for discussion and critique. Will include dynamic exercises and ideas to stimulate new writing.
For more information on the workshop go to our link.
Learn more about about Carol Ann Russell. Hear her read her poem “Things We Talk About at Home” on KAXE’s – The Beat.
To register, call the art center at 218-444-7570. The BCAC is free and open to the public. Visit the BCAC and Shop 426 at 426 Bemidji Ave N (upper level of the Historic Carnegie Library on 5th St) or at www.bcac.wordpress.com For information contact us at (218) 444-7570 or at firstname.lastname@example.org Hours are Tues. to Fri. 12 to 5pm and Sat. 10am to 2pm.
Full March First Friday Listing.
Read Full Post »
Posted in Events, First Friday Art Walk on December 4, 2012 |
- Bemidji Community Art Center and SHOP 426 – kick off the Holiday Season with the Annual Holiday Open House! Join us on Friday Dec 7th from 4 to 7 pm and Sat Dec 3 from 10am to 2pm for holiday refreshments, free gift wrap and more. EXHIBIT- In the Galleries now thru Dec 22nd – 10th Annual It’s Only Clay. This year’s exhibit will include work by our 2012 IOC Juror, Robert Briscoe. NEW this year! – Give the Gift of Art by purchasing a special One-of-a-Kind Holiday Ornament! Ornaments will go on sale on Friday December 7th during the Shop 426 Holiday Open House and be available through December 22nd.
- Cabin Coffeehouse & Café – presents area artist Wesley May and his show entitled “LET ME TELL YOU A STORY”. Wesley will be presenting a live art demonstration while acoustic musician Sonny Johnson performs during the reception. **Please Note – “LET ME TELL YOU A STORY” will be on display on December 7th but the “Meet the Artist Reception” will be Friday Dec 14th 5-7pm.**
- Dunn Bros – Dunn Bros Coffee – presents photographer Mark J. Harlow as their December artist. Artist Reception – December 7th from 5 pm to 7 pm.
- Gallery North – presents December Showcase Artist Ric Daly and Featured Artist Kathy Sanders from 2:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Glazed and Amused – presents Bemidji based artist Tawnee Geller for their December First Friday Artist. Artist Reception – Friday, December 7th from 5:30-7:30pm.
- RailRiver Folk School’s featured Artist for December is Eli Balbach with “Cultural Milk”. Opening reception with the Artist is Friday, December 7th from 5pm to 7pm. ALSO at the RailRiver Folk School- The Northwoods Folk Collective Open Stage – Sign-up: 6:30-7:30; performance begins at 7:30 .
- Ravenrock Gallery of Jewelry and Fine Art is Helping the Food Shelf! Join us on December 7th from 4:00 to 7:00 pm for a reception featuring STUDIO 10 artist’s Pat Shough and Doug Zuehlsdorff.
- Wild Hare Bistro and Coffeehouse will present the works of ceramic artist Cyrus Swann, December 7th through January 30th. Artist Reception on December 7th, from 3:00 to 5:00pm, *Please Note: There will be no First Friday Wine Bar or thematic dinner on December 7th, also no artist reception and no wine bar on January 4th.
EXHIBITS AROUND TOWN
- Bemidji Public Library – presents work by Lisa Robinson’s 6th to 8th Grade Students from Schoolcraft Learning Community as their Featured Artists on the Art Wall for the month of December. The art created by the students is pen and ink drawings created in art class on invasive species that were studied in science class.
- Headwaters School of Music and Arts - Susan Kedzie and her exhibit “Retrospect” is on display in the main recital hall at Headwaters School of Music and the Arts now through December 16th.
- Neilson Place – The Neilson Place Art Committee continues their exhibit of two noted regional artists: Jane Freeman and D.L. Houseman with their show titled “Translations: The Views of Two Artists”.
Read Full Post »
Bemidji Community Art Center and SHOP 426 kick off the Holiday Season with the Annual Holiday Open House! Join us on Friday Dec 7th from 4 to 7 pm and Sat Dec 3 from 10am to 2pm for holiday refreshments, free gift wrap and more. Shop 426 features unique, hand made artwork by local and regional artists. EXHIBITS – In the Galleries now thru Dec 22nd – 10th Annual It’s Only Clay. This year’s exhibit will include work by our 2012 IOC Juror, Robert Briscoe. Much of the work is available for purchase just in time for Holiday Gift Giving.
The BCAC Presents the First Annual Holiday Ornament and Decoration Sale! Give the Gift of Art by purchasing a special One-of-a-Kind Holiday Ornament! Ornaments will go on sale on Friday December 7th during the Shop 426 Holiday Open House and be available through December 22nd. All of the ornaments have been donated with proceeds going to support programs and events like the Children’s Art Extravaganza’s, hosted throughout the year. Visit the Art Center and Shop 426 located in the Historic Carnegie Library Building or contact us at (218) 444-7570 Hours are Tues to Fri. 12 to 5pm and Sat. 10am to 2pm. Please note: The BCAC will be closed Dec 23 through the New Year!
Bemidji Community Art Center Presents a Children’s Holiday Art Extravaganza Saturday December 8th from 10am to 2pm in the Future Home of the BCAC – (Old Lakeside Luekens Building across the street from Library park)
This event features –
- $1 Make and Take Art Project for Secret Family Presents (5 to choose from and recommended for school age kids)
- Free Art Projects and Gift Wrap Station
- Holiday Movie and Story Time with Mrs. Claus
- And Holiday Sweet Shoppe with Fresh Baked Treats and Coffee.
Read Full Post »
Posted in Events, Exhibitions on November 3, 2012 |
November 2nd was the opening of the 10th Annual It’s Only Clay exhibit featuring work by ceramic artist and 2012 juror, Robert Briscoe.
Over 40 pieces from 30 artists representing 14 States were selected by Briscoe for this years show. Four independent jurors reviewed the work after the installation to make their selections for this years awards. Placement awards were rated on: function, form/aesthetic, craftsmanship and surface design. The Margaret Harlow purchase awards were selected based on qualities to be a part of this permanent teaching collection at BSU. During the reception the BCAC placement Awards and BSU Harlow Collection Purchase Awards were announced.
BCAC Placement Awards
1st Place – Teapot by Haddie Hadachek – Brainerd, MN
2nd Place – 3 X The Fun by Mitchell Spain, Lawrence, KS
- 3rd Place – Goblets by Delores Fortuna – Galena, IL
The BCAC would like to thank all the artists who submitted work for this years show. (more…)
Read Full Post »
Posted in Events on October 10, 2012 |
Congressman Peterson talks with visitors at future Art Center site.
Image by David Serrano of RSP Architecture.
U.S. Rep. Collin Peterson was in Bemidji on Tuesday to visit the future home of the art center and view images, architectural overviews and plans for the new facility. The BCAC was notified earlier this month that they would be receiving a low interest loan from the Rural Development office of the USDA and will close on the loan later this month.
The image of what the new facility would look like was unveiled as a part of the reception and was created by David Serrano from RSP Architects. RSP’s background in museum and gallery space design will be invaluable as the art center develops their new space for current and future programming.
Region 2 ED – Terri Widman (left) visits with Representative Larry Howes.
Peterson discuss Rural Development with Forshee-Donnay (left) and Kathy Luepke – Area Specialist for Rural Development in Bemidji.
Art Center Board Member Bev Erickson (r) shares art center images with Rural Development Area Specialist – Kathy Luepke.
Tuesday was an opportunity for the Art Center Board and Staff to celebrate the completion of Phase I of the project and to thank civic leaders and government officials for their support of the project and loan request by unveiling images created to showcase what the site will look like after renovations take place in 2013 and 2014.
Plans for the Capital Campaign to raise funds for the rehabilitation of the facility will begin later this year.
Read the Bemidji Pioneer
article from October 10th to learn more about Peterson’s visit.
Read Full Post »
Posted in Events, Spoken Word on September 13, 2012 |
You are invited on October 5th to the BCAC for a reading by critically acclaimed author Kevin McColley. Along with reading excerpts from his novels, McColley will discuss his beginnings as a writer and the origins of several of his novels.
Please note: mature content – the reading is intended for adult audiences. Guests should be 18 and older.
Reading – Friday October 5th / 5:30 opening reception – 6pm reading with Q&A and signing to follow.
Workshop – Saturday October 6th / 9 am to noon – lower level of the Carnegie Library Building.
How to Write a Great Novel in Only Three Hours - Not really. How to begin to write a novel, the things to look for and the things to avoid, and how to stick with the novel until it’s finished without abandoning the manuscript to your underwear drawer. Fee for workshop: Adults $40 / Students $20 Space is limited. For more information on the workshop or for to register, contact the art center at 218-444-7570.
Kevin McColley is the author of six published six novels. Both Praying to a Laughing God and The Other Side were nominated for the National Book Award. Praying to a Laughing God was also a finalist for the Dashiell Hammett Prize for best crime novel published in North America. He is the recipient of both a Bush Artist Fellowship and a fellowship in literature from the McKnight Foundation.
This event is made possible, in part, by a Region 2 Arts Council Grant through an appropriation by the Minnesota State Legislature and the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund passed by the Minnesota Voters on November 4th , 2008.
Read Full Post »